On Thursday I mentioned that Lauren at Nutrisavvy nominated me for the Versatile Blogger award, and that I’d be back this weekend with more about it. Yesterday was off-the-charts insanity – on the way to the beach L’s car overheated (though we didn’t know that was the problem at the time), in an area where AT&T towers happened to be down. Luckily, a truly kind couple pulled over (and mercifully had Verizon), so after close to an hour standing in hot-and-humid weather on the side of the expressway, we were back on our way. By the time we arrived at the beach house and I finished my homework (it really never ends), I couldn’t bring myself to face you wonderful people. I just needed some chill time.
Now, though, I need to give this post its due. First, thank you so, so much to Lauren! I’m very honored/excited/smiling to have received this award, and if this is the first time you’re hearing of Lauren and her blog, you should head over there to read her entries asap. Her posts about nutrition are engaging and her recipes make you want to run to the kitchen right then and there. She also has fantastic commentaries on Facebook.
Here are the stipulations of the award:
1. Thank the Blogger who nominated you.
2. Include a link to their site.
3. Include the award image in your post
4. Include the award image on your blog
5. Give 7 random facts about yourself
6. Nominate 15 other bloggers for the award
7. When nominating other bloggers, include links to their sites
8. Let those bloggers know they have been nominated
So, here goes! It’s not often that I speak too much about myself on this blog, but here are 7 random facts about myself:
1. I love playing the piano, and have been playing since I was 6. I actually used to want to be a professional concert pianist.
2. I also at one point wanted to be a professional Hollywood actress. But then, what 13 year old doesn’t?
3. I don’t dislike many foods for flavor reasons, but have some of the most inexplicable aversion to certain foods in certain preparations: celery if it’s not chopped up super small or in soup, cucumber after the first few slices, and root beer.
4. I really, really like horror movies. I also am one of those people who gets absolutely petrified watching them. I must be self-sadistic or something.
5. I’m deathly afraid of bees. I didn’t used to be, but after my best friend at the time announced that she was (I think I was 8), I decided that I should be, too.
6. One of my lofty dreams is having enough money to take a total fixer-upper, gut it, and create a gorgeous dream home out of it.
7. I like waking up early, eating prunes, and watching Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. It’s basically the formula for old woman-hood, and I refuse to feel ashamed of it.
So now that you know a little bit about me, it’s time for me to acknowledge some of the incredible food bloggers who I look up to in one way or another, and who I think capture the essence of versatile blogging:
2. Annie’s Eats
4. Bake at 350
9. Food Stories
14. Smitten Kitchen
These blogs have all inspired me in some way or another, and I believe are all versatile in their blogging. Even the ones with a niche – a very specific focus – find a way to keep things new and exciting. If you aren’t familiar with any of them, I highly recommend that you check them out. If you do, you’ll be pleasantly greeted by stunning photographs, witty commentary and insight, and downright irresistible recipes and food ideas.
I’ll be back later in the week with an actual recipe, but for now – there’s an ocean, a bathing suit and a huge expanse of clear skies, all calling my name. Enjoy your day, your week, your holiday celebrations – and I will see you again soon!
One Year Ago: Strawberry Ban-Oreo Frozen Yogurt